Friday, May 04, 2007

decisions, decisions

my coworker is leaving for a few months' bike ride from prince rupert to minnesota on saturday, after which she'll be joining a buddhist monastery in nova scotia for 9 months. g is embarking on a 2 year peace corps stint in bolivia any day now probably. eve is crewing a tall ship that will sail from london to africa. my good friend is moving to kentucky in 2 weeks. (ok, KY's not really cool, but it's still new for her, and she's moving in with the love of her life.) my life used to be exciting and filled with anticipation for the next journey; now, i wet my pants over a new garlic press. how depressing. how domestic. i was wondering earlier today about the feasibility of living with my best friend in vienna for a few months, or until the visa people kick me out. i could still take the gre there, and i could work on writing that story i said i'd publish before i graduated college.

my move to alaska was based on the lure of adventure. the last frontier kinda stuff. glaciers and whales and a rainforest. it was only supposed to be a temporary experience, and here i am 9 months past my original departure date because i love the community and my job and the connections. i stare at the thought of another year, and it doesn't seem quite right. not that i don't love it here ... when it's sunny and dry, and you can appreciate the dramatic scenery and myriad outdoor opportunities; it's almost a feeling of reverence. that happens like maybe 30 days the entire year. in those brief periods, i still bask in awe that i'm lucky enough to call this place home. but i'm just not the kinda gal who'll hike around in the other 300 days of rain because i love nature that much. wish i could be, but i'm not. and while everything i have done here has been more than fulfilling and worthwhile, there's still so much more i want to do. the measure of a person's determination doesn't come from what they choose when the choices are easy. any of my friends who still want free housing for your trip to alaska better call me soon.

back to what i've been cooking, because i am such a foodie and it makes me happy, i made chicken tandoori (indian bbq) and nilagang baka (filipino beef stew) in the last 2 days. 1 serving of the tandoori is 300 calories, mm, healthy. a serving of the beef stew has 1000 calories, mm, fat. good thing i did join that gym.

2 Comments:

At 8:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmmm.... tandoori.... *drool* [/homer]

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Kritkrat said...

Are those pictures of the actual food you made? Because those look amazing!

I hope Lisa and Tracy are having fun... I am jealous too...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home