Friday, September 16, 2005

Dejé mi corazón en Oaxaca

¡Hoy es Día de Indepedencia de México!

I have a soft spot for Mexico, especially the southern states, because a) I studied Mesoamerican archaeology and b) I heart Oaxaca and could totally live there for awhile.

My first salsa lesson was in an awesome Oaxacan club called Candela in the centro, and I was taught by "Rumba Roy", a gay guy dying to get in my ex-boyfriend's pants. He didn't speak English, and my ex didn't speak Spanish, and I was a naughty, naughty translator.

Since then, I had no opportunity to dance salsa again until I moved to Juneau which has a surprisingly vibrant salsa scene. Last night, salsa instructor Heather taught Cris, Seams, and I a Cuban dance style called rueda, and I got invited to start going to Intermediate Salsa lessons on Tuesdays, woooo. Then this guy I know danced with me and swore what he was doing was salsa, which it totally wasn't, it was a cross between merengue and assault with a deadly weapon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home