Friday, December 23, 2005

It's strange being back in a big city after just a handful of months in Juneau. I didn't think I had acclimated myself so significantly to small town perks/pains in the ass, but now I wonder if I still retain my adolescent goal of living in Manhattan for a couple years. Juneau is like an old typewriter; it's functional but more than a bit outdated, but it has a great charm to it. You feel like you're living a romantic life in a quaint setting. Seattle is like one of those gadgets I saw someone at SEATAC airport using which is some crazy hi-tech personal organizer that multitasks as a cellphone, IPOD, digital camera, DVD/radio player, Internet browser, and will probably start vacuuming your house if you set it on the carpet and don't watch it for awhile.

Today, we went for a lunch outing at 1:30p.m. and didn't return until 5. The eating itself actually didn't take hours--it was all the driving in traffic that turned a normal event into an afternoon extravaganza. In Cincinnati, if I drove longer than 45 minutes in any one direction, I could feasibly be in Dayton, interior Kentucky, or Indiana. Seattle though is one gigantic carpool lane going around in circles.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you should give austin traffic a try sometime. same deal, if you don't drive 45 minutes then you're not really getting anywhere. of course, austin is built like the world's biggest highway town, everything is off of 3 main highways with smaller highways connecting the bigger highways. it sucks and you almost never get anywhere because you're always stuck.

 
At 12:06 AM, Blogger valorie said...

moondog: don't say that!! you're bursting my bubble :( I wanted to move to austin for grad school, gargh@#$@$%

 
At 9:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, well if you can afford to live near campus it's no problem getting to school or downtown. it's not as bad as all that, but austin's idea of rush hour is to turn all the roads into parking lots for about 2.5 hours. if you ever get to austin, drop me a line and i'll show you around a little. i'm kind of "rediscovering" the city myself, i haven't lived here for 10 years and it's completely different since i've been gone.

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Chipper said...

That's funny--I know exactly what you mean about cincy--IU grew up in Toledo, OH so if we drove for more then three hours any which way, we would be in Cleveland, Chicago or Cincy!
I hope you have a wonderful New Years!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home