Friday, February 24, 2006

After wanting to read it for 3 years, I've finally finished "The God of Small Things" by Arundhati Roy. Made me think about the globalism of culture and Love Laws (not just the caste kind). Some of my favorite descriptions: "fatly baffled" and "not a black cat, but a black-cat shaped Hole in the Universe".

Person 1: But you have a boyfriend!
Person 2: Of course I have a boyfriend. When have I ever not had a boyfriend? That's like saying, 'I have a face.' But it doesn't always mean I like it.

Today, I am hearing all kinds of things that stop me in my tracks.

3 Comments:

At 4:49 PM, Blogger valorie said...

madelyn: roy also has a really interesting life story herself. i'm not sure what i want to read next tho.. any suggestions?

 
At 1:08 AM, Blogger x said...

i loved this book. Roy is a very interesting and courageous woman. Beautiful too.

 
At 2:08 AM, Blogger valorie said...

chloe: yes absolutely. i heard her speak a few years ago, not on literature, but at an activist rally against the current US war on iraq.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home