Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Things I Did in Seattle

Look Ma, I learned something new!
I went rollerblading for the first time and only fell twice. The first time was because I tried to U-turn in high traffic and consequently fell on my ass. The second time was when Seamus unexpectedly picked me up from behind then accidentally dropped me on my finger. It was pretty funny in a 'oh, my finger is bleeding' funny.

I learned how to play Mexican Domino Train and a card game called Wizard. I kicked butt.

I tried my hand at Super Nintendo's Bomberman. It kicked my butt.

Let's go to the movies:
King Kong: I really didn't want to watch this because I knew I was going to bawl, but Seam's family goes to the movies as a Christmas tradition, and this was what they picked. Sure enough, I cried three times. And not like inconspicuously. I mean gut-wrenching sobs of despair. Kong was just a beautifully big gorilla who was rightfully king of the jungle and had no chance whatsoever of surviving the city and all he wanted was a piece of loveliness he could never have. Argh.
Memoirs of a Geisha: Meh. Book's a gazillion times better. And they used virtually all Chinese actors for a plot all about Japan. Asia isn't one country/culture. But Zhiyi Zhang was magnificently pretty as always, and I wouldn't complain if she hypothetically had to play me in a film.
The Island: Sci-fi meets pro-lifers.
Overnight: Documentary about the ego of the guy who wrote the screenplay for Boondock Saints. Made by two bitter ex-friends who were fired from managing said guy's band. The whole thing cements my lack of desire for the Hollywood life and validates why I left the ritzy, image-obsessed Los Angeles scene.
Melinda and Melinda: Woody Allen movie. The dialogue felt really stilted, and I didn't finish it. But the theory behind it is interesting and reminds me of a quote I really like: "To those who feel, the world is a tragedy. To those who think, the world is a comedy."
The Interpreter: Decent but not riveting. If put in a position where you could murder a despot who'd committed atrocious crimes against humanity, would you do it, or would you trust international courts to render justice? I thought of third world politics and how my grandfather's cousin was assassinated as soon as he stepped off a plane, returning to his homeland after a self-imposed exile.

Old Things in New Clothes:
salsa dancing at a great venue on Capitol Hill
eating my favorite things at Chipotle's: barbacoa burrito bowl with chips & guac
making sinigang and nilaga for Seamus & his family
New Year's Eve Rolling Stones theme party
bubble tea!

Finished Reading:
The Sparrow
From the Dust Returned by Ray Bradbury

Currently re-reading The Picture of Dorian Gray and will probably be juggling that with the much recommended Peace Like a River.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home