Saturday, October 15, 2005

Midnight Camping in the Last Frontier

The Fantastic Four (i.e. Gobie, Steens, Seams, and me) went camping out past Eagle Beach, near the end of the road, last night. Gobie picked the spot, and it was gorgeous; we were right by the ocean, and you can see the Chilkats straight ahead, and Orion and the Big Dipper and Mars watched over us as we made terrible tofurkey dogs and awesome s'mores over a fire that was burning much too fast because we used thin cedar planks instead of the more expensive Duralogs. Seams and I slept outside, and I saw my first shooting star.

When I woke up at 7:30am, there was frost on my sleeping bag, but with a view like this, who minds a little cold?
















Note how everyone else is up and packing while Seams is sleeping away like a baby
.

4 Comments:

At 4:31 AM, Blogger x said...

I'm so jealous! What is this amazing place? You are so lucky.

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger valorie said...

thanks! i feel lucky to live in alaska, the last great american adventure and all that.. but greece is beautiful too from what i remember

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Chipper said...

Frost on the sleeping bag? You are a brave one! ;-) I had to laugh, when you mentioned seeing Orion--I nevber gave it a thought before that we would be seeing different constellations at night--we can just barely see the big & little dipper. Pegasus, cassiopeia and Andromeda are directly over heard at the moment. I bet the stars seem ten times brighter in the clear Alaskan sky-how jealous I am!

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger valorie said...

¡gracias! ¿cómo se dice "chulas" en inglés, sabes? ¿cuándo nos visitarás? un abrazo.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home