Wednesday, November 02, 2005

my after-school special...buddy

I really need to stop baiting people for my own amusement. They enter the conversation innocently, and I start asking weirder and weirder questions, probing and seeing where their limits are. Today, I was speaking with the school janitor, and we were discussing Sodom and Gomorrah. Because that’s the kind of icebreaker I like to start with when getting to know complete strangers.

Him: They were doing bad things with animals. And to each other, like brother and sister, stuff that’s supposed to be taboo.
Me: Really, what sort of bad things?
Him: You know what.
Me: No, I don’t.

Him: Well that's where they got the word sodomy from you know. (I did.)
Me: Is that also where they got gonorrhea?
(Pause. My officemate is giving me shut-up looks, and I ignore her.)Him: Well, I think people are just people. There are bad people and good people.
Me: What makes a bad person?
Him: Hurting other people.
Me: Like… killing someone?
Him: (laughing) Yes, that constitutes being bad.
Me: What about killing in self defense? Does that make someone bad?
Him: … The Bible says you should protect your family.
Me: Oh okay. So what if someone told a “Yo Mama” joke?
Him: (not laughing) I’ve heard those jokes. They’re not very nice. But you shouldn’t take someone’s life over it. You just tell them that’s wrong.
Me: I see… So, you’re Christian?
Him: I trust Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and Savior, yes. But I don’t try to ram it down anybody’s throat. Some people don’t realize that doesn’t work. Same thing with those Moslems (he says it mos-lems) blowing us up and putting airplanes in buildings. They’re not going to turn is into Moslems; it’s just gonna make us mad! I know what Rome did to those Moslems, way back in those Crusades, weren’t very nice. Rome wanted to set up their church in Jerusalem, and it didn’t happen. People make mistakes and hopefully we just learn from them. Some people are really mean.

Him: In China, they throw kids away a lot.
Me: (looking up from keyboard hoping he doesn’t realize I’m typing exactly what he’s saying) Wait, what do they do in China???
Him: They throw their kids away. And the missionaries would take care of the kids that were thrown away, and they started doing things the way that Jesus did it. Not like ‘do things my way or I’m gonna blow you up’. The Spirit’s gonna go where it’s gonna go, and you can’t do nothing about it.


At this point, I sort of wanted to ask him what he thought about other things like hell and who goes there and if he thinks the shroud of Turin was really Da Vinci. But it was past 5 so I just told him my Spirit was heading to the bar to get some Sodom if you know what I mean, and what’re ya gonna do?

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 1:29 AM, Blogger x said...

poor guy, he'll know better next time and steer clear of you!

 
At 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, sometimes it's just too hard to not bait someone when they are such easy targets! I agree with Chloe, I definitely think he'll steer clear of you! Tee-hee.

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger valorie said...

he came back to my office today actually to talk about it some more!

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger Jeff said...

That's a more meaningful conversation than any I've had with janitors. What's the secret?

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Colette said...

Wow - you just became one of my heros

Hats off m'dear!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home