Thursday, January 26, 2006

Juneau Snowstorm

I was so pissed about Blockbuster's that I forgot to mention this crazy snowstorm that hit us on Tuesday. This picture is from Anchorage, but it looks close to what I experienced. I unfortunately had to drive to the Valley and Auke Bay in the cantankerous Canner. I slid down the suicide hill known as Basin Road until I ended up completely sideways on the narrow street, my face staring down the rest of the deadly decline. Once on Egan--the only main road through Juneau--I started slipping dangerously around. So much for 4-wheel drive. Maybe just the notification light works and not the actual function. I passed 4 accidents that day and must have made the Sign of the Cross 50x. Because that works so much better than keeping both hands gripped on the wheel. That night, I was walking in the Vista House yard, and the snow came up to my knees, almost 2 feet. It's stopped snowing now thank goodness. I am completely unsympathetic to cross country ski fans.

4 Comments:

At 1:54 PM, Blogger Chipper said...

Oh my gosh! I will never complain about scrapping snow off my windshield in the morning--that's just a crazy amount of snow!

 
At 9:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it snows in alaska?? o_O

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger valorie said...

moondog: actually not as often or as early as it did in cinci! b/c i'm in the panhandle and close to a temperate rainforest. but when it snows, it's 3 feet and a wet-cold!

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Cari said...

Wow...this makes me feel like a wimp when I complain about in inch in Va!!! MY GOODNESS!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home