Saturday, January 14, 2006

until it passes

I am bombarding my immune system with Simply Nutritious© megasize juices, Echinacea pills, and exercise in frigid Aurora Borealis-inducing nights. Starting Tuesday night, I started feeling ill, and by yesterday my head was positively swimming with exhaustion. I sank into a nap, intending to wake up in 2 hours for a friend's going-away potluck, but woke up 12 hours later instead. I think my adrenaline from last week has worn off, and the new year's momentum--showing no signs of abating--has run off with my energy. It didn't help either that I hadn't spoken with Seamus in a week. He finally reached me Friday morning; he'd given up on the phone cards which for some reason would only rarely connect to Alaska, and just used coins instead. Which meant for like 7 euros, we got to speak pleasantries for 5 minutes. He called again this morning, and we barely finished the small talk before being rushed into "I love you"s, knowing we'd be cut off any moment, which we were. Not really much of a conversation with your long-distance boyfriend but what can I do? Next Friday, he's getting a cell phone that I'll be able to call so until then, I'll just ride out this sickness until it passes.

3 Comments:

At 2:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you can use skype to call him, or he you. they sell chunks of time for either $10 or 10 euros and the rate is something like 2.5 cents per minute to talk to europe. if you don't have skype yet, you can get it for free at skype.com. i use it to talk to my friend in new zealand all the time, otherwise i'd be paying like $2 a minute to talk. you need broadband to use it, that's the only drawback. good luck :)

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger valorie said...

moondog: i checked out the site.. looks awesome. but i guess one of us would have to get a headset or something? thanks for the tip! even if not to italy, i could use it to call the philippines or tell my mom about it :)

 
At 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you just need a microphone and some speakers to talk over it. if you both have broadband you can both use skype for free. but if only one of you has broadband then you can call a lot of land lines and some mobiles if you pay for minutes. it's truly an amazing service :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home