Sunday, March 05, 2006

post-conference fiesta

I am really happy with what happened at our session and excited about the possibilities. The professor earnestly thinks I would get published. Graduate scholarships will rain down upon me, and Harvard will be knocking at the door, he teased. I felt an instinctive pang of anxiety, remembering USC's silver plattered future and how I threw it back in their face. Anyway, at the very least, I have a head start on my master's thesis, if the cultural anthro transnationalism/migration path is what I choose over archaeology. I'm still torn.

Afterward, the family I'm staying with had a food bonanza: salad with fresh chunks of crabmeat; prime rib roast with au jus; another entree with beef in tomato-based sauce, red peppers, and potatoes; baked white fish; Hawaiian bread rolls; corn, rice, baked potatoes, spaghetti, cheesecake, and local red wine.

I was so much more excited about that dinner than the actual anthropology meeting. I really think I'd like to be a chef. There goes that academic death-wish again.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 12:29 PM, Blogger Chipper said...

Congratualtions! It sounds like you are definitely headed down the right track with your work! Yahoo!
I think being a chef would be amazing, except I think I would be a pastry chef, so I could eat all of my mistakes. ;-)

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger valorie said...

thanks etchen! ooh my coworker used to be a pastry chef for the four seasons in seattle. she concocts the best desserts for our office potlucks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home