Monday, March 06, 2006

everyone else is struggling too

i was a mess at work this afternoon. luckily, it was past 5pm so most people were already gone, and i just closed my office door and bawled and talked to my sister on the phone. my lola (tagalog for grandmother) has terminal leukemia and is still hospitalized. my mom and i got in a stupid fight talking about it because we're both so stressed. my lola pretty much raised me as a child when my dad was in the US and my mom was working in bahrain. she's always been so proud of me, more than my own parents. she always bragged about my achievements to my other cousins and has constantly made me feel like the world was mine, that i could do anything, even when others doubted or condescended. now i am freaking out that i'm so far away, and i don't know if i should visit her soon for a significantly shorter amount of time (2 weeks or less) or wait until this summer when i can be there for 3 months but risk it being too late. i hate how money can limit something this crucial. if i could, i'd go twice. but one ticket's already $1200. there's no way of predicting the future, and nobody wants to tell me what to do, when to go, what i can live with... i don't even want to decide myself.

8 Comments:

At 9:07 AM, Blogger Chipper said...

Ask your grandmother what to do. She seems like a pretty smart lady and maybe she has a sense of whether you should come now or wait.
I am so sorry that this is happening. You and your family are in my prayers.

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger valorie said...

i haven't been able to speak to her; she's still in the hospital. but my mom and sis both say that she wouldn't want me to leave AK, and i feel they're probably right, because leaving now would risk a lot of other things, with my job, etc.
thanks for your thoughts and prayers.. i really appreciate them.

 
At 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

not knowing your situation i think it would be incredibly difficult to decide something like that. there's really no way to deal with this and not feel like you're doing *something* bad. i hope things work out ok all around for you and i will also be thinking about you

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger valorie said...

thanks moondog.. it's a really difficult situation even with knowing what there is to know... i appreciate your thoughts.

 
At 7:21 PM, Blogger Stina said...

won't americorps pay for you to go see her? i'm pretty sure they will. maybe they only pay for a ticket in the US, but you could probably get them to pay for at least part of it. I bet they would. So sorry, Val. i heart you.

 
At 1:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

where does your grandma live?

 
At 1:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

where does your grandma live?

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger valorie said...

she lives in manila.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home