Tuesday, April 25, 2006

yes but everywhere you're beautiful

She looked at him as he walked past. And though she must have looked at him a million times before, this time she saw him and thought, I would do anything for this man. I would move, I would marry, I would betray my past to follow his future.

...He didn't speak at all; he just laughed. Laughter is light. But words have weight and can be grounded and made accountable. They can be written down or imprinted in memory. Words are intractable. Even when you apologize. Apologies don't erase what has already been uttered. They are just an addendum, hoping to be acknowledged. Laughter though, that blows away and has the freedom to be careless.

...They were lying down staring at each other. His eyes were blue-gray, like a stormy sea you could get lost in if you weren't careful. Or even if you were. Her eyes were brown with pinpricks of pain. The kind the soul endures so they only show through pupils, if you look hard enough. Even if you don't.

***

That was about an unsettling dream I had last night. I woke up and laid in the thick of it for another hour before I got up.

Today, I experienced a day within a day. Ever have those? When a period of time feels completely disparate from the rest of the day that encapsulates it? My sense of time has gotten jumblier since moving to Alaska.

Remember that mean teacher? Well, she seems to be as knowledgeable as she is snippy. Which sucks because I was really looking forward to proving her wrong today, if only in my own head, but she was right on every count. Damnit.

4 Comments:

At 4:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you ever *read* the princess bride? your first part of your post reminds me of westley and buttercup's courtship from the book.

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger valorie said...

moondog: no i haven't! did the book come before the movie theN? i love the movie.. "inconceivable!"

 
At 6:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh yes, the movie is based on the book. don't you remember how it starts?? ;)

 
At 9:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are days I wish I could understand what u mean

 

Post a Comment

<< Home