Thursday, November 10, 2005

a day of escalating dares

I had once lamented to a good friend how the future wouldn't hit me again for another 578 days. I had just moved back to Cincinnati from grand adventures and was feeling the oppressive weight only your hometown can give you. I had grown accustomed to waking up and turning my life on its head, to hopping on a train from Lisbon to Barcelona for the hell of it, to working with Cambodian refugees picking weeds on rows of ginseng plants that stretched wearily for miles, to befriending a street kid in San Diego who comforted me because I was broke... to the ease of a cowardly "freedom". Then there I was back to the beginning, staring at a year and a half of life-fermenting routine. He'd said, "Val, I'm not worried. You're the kind of person for whom the future hits every day."

3 Comments:

At 6:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know what you're saying about coming back to your hometown. i just had to do this as well and there are too many memories locked up in this place for me to feel completely comfortable about it. but i'm doing the best i can until i can find the next best thing for me, hopefully it won't take too much time...

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger valorie said...

where are you from, and what did you move back for? as soon as i finished what i returned to cinci to do (finish my degree), i moved to alaska. i love it here and wonder if i'll ever live in cinci again.

 
At 8:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i grew up in texas, in and around the austin area. as many good things as people try to say about this city, it's a very annoying place to live if you don't like being stuck in traffic for hours a day. even moreso if you grow up somewhere as you probably know ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home