Thursday, November 10, 2005

"something significant"


The church bells are ringing. If I wanted, they could ring for me. But I'm not wearing anything special, let alone something old, new, borrowed, and blue. Then again, I was told simply, "just wear clothes."

I kid about marriage a lot. Let's elope. Let's go to the Justice of the Peace. We could pop into a Vegas chapel. When? Right now. Tomorrow. As soon as possible. I don't know if it's purely a joke or a test, a little of both maybe. I have been proposed to twice before. The first, we were walking along the banks of the Ohio River, and when I'd said no, he told me, "No one can keep you Val. Whoever does is one lucky man." The second one I'd seriously considered for weeks. Then he flew 5000 miles to surprise me, and all I felt was a violation of personal space, and if I felt that way already, I knew I couldn't hold out on an answer any longer. So I told him no too, in an empty kitchen, while he buried his head in his hands and felt like a fool. He wrote me a 7 page letter describing how a relationship with me had been like climbing the steepest mountain. He knew there was a high probability of falling to his death but the slightest chance of making it to the very top sustained him, would be the reward he'd been looking for all his life. Sadly, this mountain had a mountain of her own to conquer first.

"Why don't we get coffee first?"
"Nervous are we?" he asked.
He calls and says softly, "I will get coffee with you."

5 Comments:

At 3:43 PM, Blogger Chipper said...

You'll reach the peak of your mountain when the time is right for you and if marriage is in your horizon, then the time will be right and you'll know. Until then, it all just feels like an uphill climb!
I always think I should just go get a quicky marriage adn then a quicky divorce in Vegas so marriage won't seem so daunting.

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger valorie said...

i know what you mean! i was thinking today there should be trial-marriage licenses and you'd be "married" but it wouldn't officially count.

 
At 4:09 AM, Blogger Jeff said...

Funny you should mention that, Val, but the state of Texas recently passed a "defining marriage" amendment to its constitution...The only problem is someone didn't word it carefully enough and it technically might ban ALL marriage.

In my own life, I plan on waiting to get married until my late 20s/early 30s, unless some love of my life comes along sooner and knocks the wind out of me. Since marriage is something that completely changes your life situation, I think it's good to take it slow. I realize it's harder for women to say that, though, because they have shorter "biological clocks."

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger valorie said...

i don't really have a plan for marriage unless you count the 6 years i told myself it would never happen. now i'm open to the possibility but it's no priority. it's not necessarily on the list of things i want to do before i die.

 
At 10:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

as someone who has recently witnessed the end of my own marriage i have to say don't do it unless you are either completely 10000% sure this is the right thing to do, or if you are unsure about the marriage to at least be able to settle your differences in a way that you both can live with. i did neither of these and found myself in a situation that i really didn't enjoy being in, and both of us just ended up growing apart from the other. i don't mean to talk you out of marriage, but just let you know that you need to do it cause you want to, not because you feel some obligation to do it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home