Monday, March 13, 2006

he says i'm a ball not a burrito

some things made me happy to finally socialize this weekend. there was a moment where i was again reminded of how much i love living here. a group of us was standing outside a birthday party, and we were all looking up at the alaskan skies hoping to glimpse the aurora. oh well if a pyro had just set fire to the front yard foosball table, reminiscent of USC frat parties my freshman year. or that the reason we had our hopes up to begin with was because some guy had just arrived proclaiming it loudly, and he, in all likelihood, was stoned. but i was standing out there with my girl friends realizing that i don't look up enough. i spend too much time looking at the ground, making sure i don't slip on the ice or get too much snow in shoes clearly not made for winter but i suck at dressing for the weather that way. so even though we still didn't see those evading northern lights, it was nice to be reminded of beauty and potential. not to mention that the typical juneau house party involves free crab. score!

sunday morning, i felt a different kind of special moment. the kind when i really want a sex change operation if it meant i'd stop overanalyzing every pause and muscle twitch. then again if i changed sex, i'd be a philandering jerk instead. not because i'm sexist. but because it runs in my family.

3 Comments:

At 9:39 AM, Blogger Chipper said...

Crab at all house parties? sing me up! Stupid question..are the Northern Lights visible al the time or just certain times during the year? Sorry, i don't know much ab. them. I saw them just once and it was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen--(even if they were very faint and extremely distant.)

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger valorie said...

i think they're visible only under certain sky conditions, and there are optimum times during the year to see them-but not limited to them. and also they can be present during the daytime but obviously you can't see them b/c of the sun. you saw them!!!! aughh i'm cursed! i moved to AK for this bitch! where were you??

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Chipper said...

Uh, oh, yu'll want to kill me when I tell you....I was here in Cleveland, Ohio. It was some weird thing, that there was a week where they were supposed to be visible,and the tv stations kept talking ab. it and showing photos of them adn what to look for and what they were, etc. I had forgotten all about it and one of the night's I was outside sitting in a chair looking at stars and off I the distance I saw these beautiful streaks of color and lights. It was so funny to see them and I immediately knew what they were--I was such a dork about it though--calling friends and neighbors to go outside and look at them. I know I have to come to Alaska someday to see them once more. I guess what we save was so small and dull compared to what you have in Alaska!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home